It will be held at the University of Évora on May 29 and 30, 2018, the International Congress - The Military Revolution in Portugal and its Empire (15th-18th Centuries).
In 2018, thirty years will have passed since the release of the first edition of Geoffrey Parker´s ground-breaking work The Military Revolution: Military Innovation and the Rise of the West, 1500-1800 (2nd edition in 1996). It is somehow surprising that, after three decades, most historiography on Portugal and its early modern overseas empire has by and large ignored the Military Revolution debate, especially if one regards the state of existent scholarship on other countries. Likewise, there were few attempts to include the Portuguese case in more general and comparative discussions on the Military Revolution. In order to overcome this situation, the objective of this congress is to debate the subject of Military Revolution applied to early modern Portugal and its empire. Thus, the following topics will be addressed:
– The Military Revolution: theoretical and methodological perspectives
– Changes in military architecture
– Increase of the size of armies: implications and consequences
– War and its relation with the rise of fiscal state
– Development of military tactics
– Cultural exchange and dissemination of military knowledge
See the congress programme, attached here.